Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Plumapple Pie



In the summer, fruit's falling everywhere you look. There's plenty of orchards where the fruit's falling faster than families can keep up with it. You're always going to work, and someone has a bag of fruit with a post-it attached with the sentence, "Please take me". If you haven't taken it in the past, TAKE IT NOW! :) When you have a lot of fruit, make fruit pie. I had a lot of leftover apples and plums. The plums were so bruised and broken and battered, that anyone else would've thrown them out. I, on the other hand, made this scrumptious summer pie. I promise you there will be NOTHING left on the plate after you serve this.





Recipe
At first I just made the Plum Jam, but it was so good and I had a lot leftover, that I also decided to combine it with the apple filling from the apple strudel that I had made (See apple strudel recipe) and turn it into a pie.





Plum Jam
3 cups of Plums
2 cups of granulated Sugar
1/2 cup Lemon juice
Pinch of Salt



Cook above ingredients in a pot on low to medium heat until all the ingredients become soft and darken in color, and become sticky, like jam should be. Leave it to cool down .



Arkansas Pie Crust
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 sticks of butter (unsalted, or butter subsitute)
pinch of salt
1/4 cup cold whole milk (or cold water)


  • Mix the flour and salt together in mixing bowl
  • Cut the butter into cubes
  • Mix it all together until becomes crumbly
  • Then add the milk (or water) and stir for a few seconds
  • Take it out of the bowl, wrap into saran wrap, and put in the fridge for a half hour
  • Roll out the dough for a short time, so it doesn't get overkneaded
  • Put 1/2 of it at the bottom of a greased 8" pie pan, and put in the fridge again for 10 minutes
  • Take out of the fridge
  • Brush with egg yolk. Prebake it in the over for 5-8 minutes at 375 degrees.
  • Put in the apple filling first
  • Then put the plum jam over it
  • Put the remaining dough over the fruit
  • It's up to you how you "design" the top of the pie. I pinch the sides with a fork, and poked some holes so the steam can come out. Then I brushed with egg yolk, and sprinkled some cinnamon sugar
  • Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes until brown

Serve with a little ice cream if you like, but trust me, this pie doesn't need it.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At October 24, 2009 at 3:20 PM , Blogger lasagnagardener said...

Hi, I'm a friend of Jim's and love your blog. I used to make Fall Pie using a combination of fall fruits but my favorite was apple/plum. Thanks for your version. Pat Lanza

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home